By joining the ME Association, you will also be helping others with M.E.
We recognise that your personal support of our cause is important and we will do all that we can to support the needs of our members.
Subscriptions are a vital part of our charity income and they allow us to help make the UK a better place for people with M.E.
Moreover, the more members we have, the more representative we are able to be – which can be especially useful when trustees and staff take part in medical and societal debate, or we decide to launch a specific campaign.
There are several ways to become a member:
- Debit or credit card through PayPal, you do not need to have a PayPal account to use the online shop,
- Debit or credit card by phone to head office (01280 818964 between 9.30am and 3.00pm, Monday-Friday), or,
- Download and complete the Membership Application, which allows you to also pay by annual standing order and qualify for £10 worth of free leaflets.
Why you should join the ME Association:
We are regarded as the UK’s premiere M.E. charity and actively campaign for greater recognition and understanding of the disease:
- We recognise that M.E. is a physical disease.
- Many of our trustees and staff are affected by M.E. or are primary carers for family members who have the disease, and this personal experience is reflected in everything we try to achieve.
- We understand the nature of M.E. and how hard it is to live with the condition.
- Our combined experience of M.E. and of the inequalities faced by this community, provides the main motivation for us to help others.
We fund biomedical research into M.E. and aim to discover effective treatments and a cure:
- We achieve this via the Ramsay Research Fund – named after Dr Melvin Ramsay who helped establish the ME Association and was first to recognise the disease in 1955.
- We invest in quality research, as we have with Dr Karl Morten who is examining mitochondria, and infrastructure projects, as with the UK ME/CFS Biobank.
We work to secure improved health services that recognise the reality of M.E. and for better welfare support that is easier to obtain by those too ill to work or care for themselves.
We provide ME Connect, our flagship telephone and email service, which offers support and information to anyone affected by M.E.:
- ME Connect is available every day of the year – even on bank holidays – and has managed more than 35,000 calls since its inception in 2003.
We are championed by the UK’s best-known M.E. campaigner, Dr Charles Shepherd, our honorary medical adviser and a trustee of the ME Association who, not only has personal experience of the disease, but manages to:
- regularly provide medical information which we publish as leaflets that are available in the online shop, or as articles in our members magazine, ME Essential, or on our website and social media,
- represents the ME Association, for example, as chair of the steering group for the UK ME/CFS Biobank, as an executive member of the CFS/ME Research Collaborative, and, as a member of Forward ME, which is chaired by the Countess of Mar,
- provides key contributions to major publications, for example, the NICE ME/CFS clinical guideline review process, and other ME Association reports such as the widely cited publications relating to illness management,
- attends key research and medical conferences, often presenting, and always publishing reports for members and the wider patient community to read,
- overseas and edits our very popular research reviews, that help lay audiences better understand the research that is taking place into their illness.
We provide the best quarterly member’s magazine:
- ME Essential is delivered straight to your door and features exclusive interviews, medical and scientific updates and includes stories about how people cope with M.E. as well as member’s stories.
We listen to what our members – and those in the wider M.E. community – tell us about their experiences of this illness and the difficulties faced by a life with M.E.:
- We feature a monthly survey on our website homepage that seeks feedback from people with M.E. about their lived experience.
- We host very popular and open debates on our Facebook and Twitter pages.
- We invite questions via Facebook, ME Connect, ME Essential, and our head office.
- We also formally canvass members and non-members about their feelings towards the ME Association and try to ensure we are meeting their needs.
If you join by annual standing order, you can select £10 worth of leaflets from the largest stock of literature held by any M.E. charity in the UK.
In order to take advantage of this offer you need to download, complete, and return the application form.
Please ensure you complete the standing order section!
Full Membership is available to all adults with ME/CFS, carers and anyone with an interest in the disease.
£18.00 (UK residents and BFPO)
£24.00 (Mainland Europe including Republic of Ireland)
£30.00 (Rest of the World)
Each full member is entitled to vote at our Annual and Extraordinary General Meetings.
When we have received your subscription, we will send you:
- a copy of the latest issue of our magazine, ME Essential,
- an information sheet: ‘Where to find benefits’,
- an information sheet listing a number of books which you may find helpful, and,
- if you have paid by annual standing order, your selection of £10 worth of free leaflets.